Welcome to be:longing, an online publication exploring personal experiences of migration, cross-cultural interactions, nostalgia and feelings of divided (or shared) cultural belonging. We created this space to gather written and visual pieces on anything that touches on those difficult-to-articulate feelings that can arise when your cultural story isn’t quite like “everyone else’s”.
Whether you’ve migrated from one culture to another (or between them), grown up in a culture that is different to your parents’, or your family has roots in multiple cultures, be:longing is the place for you. For us! For anyone who has ever experienced the complexities of living a multidimensional cultural existence.
Contributing your story:
If you would like to contribute your story, please get in touch! We accept contributions in the following forms, but are keen to see anything you would like to contribute:
- thoughts and stories (eg, reflections, fictional or non-fictional stories, memoirs, opinion pieces);
- visual works (photography, art of any kind submitted via photographs, videography / short film); and
- folk and food-related pieces (eg, reflective pieces on your engagement in traditional or culturally-specific practices, such as cooking, handicrafts, dance, customs, etc).
Don’t feel pressured to distill your entire life into one contribution, either! Humans are complex beings, so we very much welcome multiple contributions.
Either send us your work (to firstname.lastname@example.org), or describe your idea in a few sentences (around 100 words) in the form at the bottom of this page and we will get back to you!
- For written contributions, we request that the piece has a maximum of 1,000 words and (for non-poetry pieces) a maximum of 4 accompanying photos;
- For visual contributions (photography or art), we request a short paragraph describing the piece and how it engages with the themes of the site (to be posted alongside the contribution); and
- For contributions submitted in a language (or languages) other than English, we request an English translation (to be posted alongside the original).
We will consider including contributions that fall outside of these guidelines on a case-by-case basis.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Who we are:
Editors-in-Chief (and Founders)
Dunja Kaczmarek (née Cvjetićanin)
If you would like to join the be:longing editorial team, get in touch! We are a not-for-profit, volunteer-run publication, and are always keen to meet and collaborate with new people. If you love thinking about cross-cultural issues, working with writing and visual pieces and just generally being creative, we’d love to hear from you!
We would like to thank those who have helped us to make be:longing what it is over the years. While there are too many to mention, we would like to acknowledge, in particular, the efforts of Anita Patel, Abeir Soukieh, Win Yee Tan, Kai Ito, Relja Cvjetićanin and Ella Kurz. We love you guys!