Welcome to be:longing, an online publication exploring personal experiences of migration, cross-culture, nostalgia and divided (or shared) belonging. We created this space to gather written and visual pieces on anything that touches on those difficult-to-articulate feelings that can arise when your cultural story isn’t quite like “everyone else’s”.
Whether you’ve migrated from one culture to another (or between them), or grown up in a culture that is different to your parents’, or your family has its roots in multiple cultures, be:longing is the place for you. For us! For anyone who has ever experienced the complexities of living a multidimensional cultural existence.
Contributing your story:
If you want to contribute, please get in touch! We are currently accepting contributions in the following forms:
- thoughts and stories (eg, thought pieces, reflections, fictional or non-fictional stories, memoirs);
- visual works (photography, art); and
- folk and food-related pieces (eg, reflective pieces on your engagement in traditional or culturally-specific practices, such as cooking, handicrafts, trades, customs, etc).
Don’t feel pressured to distill your entire life into one contribution, either – we understand that humans are complex beings, so we very much welcome multiple contributions.
Either send us your work (to email@example.com), or describe your idea in a few sentences (maximum 100 words) in the form at the bottom of this page and we will get back to you!
A few guidelines:
- For written contributions (not including poetry), we request that the piece has a maximum of 1,000 words and a maximum of 4 accompanying photos.
- For visual contributions, we request a short paragraph describing the piece and how it engages with the themes of the site (to be posted alongside the contribution).
- For contributions submitted in a language (or languages) other than English, we request an English translation (to be posted alongside the original).
We will consider including contributions that fall outside of these guidelines on a case-by-case basis.
Who we are:
Editors-in-Chief (and Founders)